Bishop Auckland College is committed to providing high-quality customer service. If however you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the College’ services, you should discuss this first with your tutor or an appropriate member of staff. If you do not wish to do this, or you are still not satisfied you can make a formal complaint.

We value complaints and use the information from them to help us improve our services.

Who can complain?

Anyone who is dissatisfied with our service can make a complaint to the College. We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself. We accept complaints from a friend, relative or advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain on your behalf.

How do I complain?

You can complain in person, by phone, in writing, by email or by using our online complaints form 

Contact information:

 Address: Quality Improvement Office, Bishop Auckland College, Woodhouse Lane, Bishop Auckland, DL14 6JZ


Phone: 01388 443100

When complaining make sure you tell us:

  • Your full name and address, also an email address if you have one
  • As much as you can about the complaint as possible, including dates and times etc.
  • What has gone wrong
  • How you want to resolve the matter
  • The outcome you are seeking

What happens when you complain?

We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint. An overview of the complaints process is laid out below and a link to the College’s Customer Complaints Procedure is available here






















What if I am still dissatisfied?

After we have fully investigated, if you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint you can complain to:
For complains relating to courses funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) you can contact the ESFA using the contact details below:
ESFA complaints team –
Or via:
The Complaints Team
Education and Skills Funding Agency
Cheylesmore House
Quinton Road
For further information about making a complaint to the ESFA, please refer to their website 
Please note:  Education Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) was formed on the 1 April 2017 and brings together the work of Skills Funding Agency (SFA) and Education Funding Agency (EFA)


For HE courses delivered in partnership with the University of Sunderland– you can complain directly to the University of Sunderland. You must do this within 3 months of receiving your complaints decision.

University Of Sunderland
Academic Administration Manager
2nd Floor
Edinburgh Building
Chester Road

0191 515 2941

For complaints relating to HNC/HND courses solely ran through the College – you can complain to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA). You must do this within 12 months of receiving the Completion of Procedures (COP) letter.

You can fill in the OIA’s complaint form online or download a copy from the OIA website: