Our BTEC Higher Nationals in Sport provide a specialist work-related programme of study that covers the key knowledge, understanding and practical skills required in the Sport, Leisure and Recreation sector.
National recognition by employers allows direct progression to employment or to higher education qualifications such as a full-time degree in this related area.
Entry requirements include one of the following:
- Level 3 qualification in Sport or related discipline or A levels in related subjects.
- Access to Higher Education certificate.
- A student with relevant work experience and a good standard or education who would benefit from this qualification.
All students must at least a C grade in GCSE maths and English or equivalent qualification.
What will I do?
- Applied Sports Coaching
- The Evolution of Sports Development
- Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Training and Fitness for Sport and Exercise
- Sports and Exercise for Specific Groups
- Health Promotion
- Physical Activity, Health and Lifestyle
- The Sport and Leisure Industry
- Applied Sports Psychology
- Field Based Fitness Testing
- Analysing Sports Performance
- Managing Sports Development
- Principles of Sports Coaching
- Research Project
- Physical Education
- Work Based Experience
Your qualification will be taught in both theory and practical classrooms (eg. Sports Hall and the College’s Fitness Suite). You will be assessed through assignments given to complete within a specific time frame, and will also be assessed in practical scenarios.
What will it give me?
Higher National Diploma (HND) in Sports Coaching and Sports Development.
You will need to bring practical sports kit everyday and you will need to provide a variety of stationery items such as pens, pencil, file. You will also need to pay for a residential visit as part of the course (details will be provided as to cost and location at the start of the programme).
What can I do when I finish?
You may be able to progress to a Bachelors degree or study for a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
Careers related to this programme include: Sports Coaches and Instructors, Leisure Centre Deputy/Manager, Sports Development Officer, Sports Analyst or a Teacher.Please Click Here to access the Latest Course List