Hello and welcome to our resource hub for Year 10 and 11 students looking for more information about the opportunities open to them at Bishop Auckland College and South West Durham Training! Below you can find out about all the different options available to you, as well as all the different levels of study available.
Choosing where to go after school can be a difficult decision.
We know how tough it can be thinking about what to do after school... there are so many courses and qualifications out there! But don't worry, help is at hand- the videos, posters and resources below have all been designed to
help make that decision easier! Here are a few key facts about our college straight away:
- We offer 'hands on' courses that mean you will be spending lots of your time with us 'learning by doing'. This is great for students who want a more creative and practical experience at college.
- Most of our courses have different levels (such as Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3). It might be easier to think about these as beginner, intermediate and advanced level courses!
- Unlike a sixth form, you only choose one subject to study with us. This allows you to really focus on the subject you enjoy and gain lots of experience in that area!
- You don't have to have studied a subject at school to study it with us at college. You might start on a lower level course (for example Level 1 in subjects like Hairdressing, Beauty, Construction or Catering) to build
up your experience. If you have studied it before, or have experience of the subject outside of school, then you might start at a higher level such as Level 2 or Level 3.
- Many of our Level 3 courses are the same as studying for 3 A-Levels. This means you can progress onto university after studying with us! Rather than struggling to balance three or four A-Level subjects with lots of exams,
you can study practically and creatively with us while focusing on the one subject you love before going to university.
Welcome from the Principal
'What can I study at Bishop Auckland College and SWDT?' with our School Liaison Officer
'What support do we offer?' with our Student Progress Mentor
We have a range of workbooks and resources designed to help Year 11s transition to college. These can give you a sneak peak into what work will be expected when you study with us. Click here to access them.
Course Taster Pages:
You can find out more about the different areas of the college by clicking the images below. These pages include videos, resources and information about our courses!
Interested in an apprenticeship?
Some students find that they are eager to enter the world of work straight from school rather than studying full time. If that is you, then we offer a range of apprenticeships that might be more suitable! Find out more by clicking
Want to talk to someone about your future career?
Our careers team is happy to help answer any questions you might have about careers in the different areas of study we offer. We employ professionally trained careers advisers who have extensive experience supporting young people
and adults into employment or further training. They follow a professional code of conduct ensuring you receive impartial and confidential support. You can find out about the services they offer on the below poster or email them direct at email@example.com for help!
Worried about resits?
We support students to resit their GCSE Maths and English qualifications if they did not achieve a grade 4 while at school. Watch the below video to find out more about our maths provision:
Want to know more?
We are happy to answer any and all questions you might have about studying at Bishop Auckland College or South West Durham Training. If you fill out the form below our School Liaison team will get back to you as soon as possible.